A Level Computer Science: Categories of software
This module contains:
Compatible with the following examination boards
Categories of software
There are two types of software:
- System software: System software is responsible for running hardware and managing computer systems. Examples of system software include operating system, device drivers, utility software, translators and library programs.
- Application software: Application is a type of software designed for the end-user. It is further classified into general-purpose software, special-purpose software and custom-written software.
This A Level Computer Science module introduces categories of software to your students, explaining:
- Types of software
- Systems software vs. applications software
- Utilities: Maintenance & Security
- Types of applications software
- Open-source vs. proprietary software
More Software and software development Modules
Categories of software is one lesson in our Software and software development module. The other theory lessons can be found below: